Tuesday, 31 May 2016 11:55

Fonterra playing catch-up – Quinn

Written by  Sudesh Kissun
Organic Dairy Hub’s milk has ended up in the domestic liquid market. Organic Dairy Hub’s milk has ended up in the domestic liquid market.

Fonterra this month announced a market-based payout for organic milk of $9.20/kgMS for the new season, up from the $5.65/kgMS it currently pays for organic milk.

The co-op says the new price "reflects consistently high prices for organic milk products in its global markets".

And Bill Quinn, Organic Dairy Hub, says its presence in the sector is raising awareness and the validity of organic milk.

He points out that in March last year, Fonterra's organic milk suppliers were paid the farmgate milk price plus $1.05 premium for every kgMS; the premium was later raised to $1.50, then $1.75.

In February this year, Fonterra announced it was going to a market-based payout.

"The question is, would that have happened if the hub was not there. I put it down to competition; it is healthy for the industry."

Quinn says Fonterra is playing catch-up to the Hub.

ODH pays its suppliers 90% of the milk price within one month and the remaining 10% within three months; all payments are finalised by June 20 of each year. All its trade is done in New Zealand and in NZ dollars.

He says the Hub is getting enquiries from Fonterra organic suppliers and other farmers.

"We are inundated with farmers willing to supply, from North Island and South Island. As a serious option corporate farms and iwi group farms are now looking at it, so we are talking big farms."

Organic farm numbers have declined from 127 five years ago to 70. However, for the first time in five years, applications for organic certification have grown.

Quinn says says he expects to see 100% growth in farms under organic certification in the next 12 months.

More like this

Organic focus

Five years after the completion of the Organic Focus Vineyards project, Rebecca Reider reports back on soil monitoring and success stories.

New law to give bite to organics

Legislation aimed at tightening up the rules and laws on organic products has drawn widespread support from the organic sector.

Featured

Longest running ag field days all go

The South Island Agricultural Field Days, held in Kirwee on the outskirts of Christchurch, will celebrate its 70th year in March 2021 with a bigger demonstration area.

 

New Feds man keen to build

New Feds board member, William Beetham wants the organisation recognised for its significant contributions to NZ farming and society as a whole.

National

Global movers and shakers

Dairy companies around the world are facing a dilemma – whether to expand or divest assets, says Rabobank’s Mary Ledman.

Live cattle exports in limbo

The fate of 28,000 cows in quarantine in New Zealand and supposedly destined for China in the coming weeks hangs…

Machinery & Products

Mowers get a makeover

Well known throughout New Zealand over the past 18 years, Pottinger has redesigned its rear-mounted Novadisc mowers to incorporate a…

Hardy spotlight

High quality, reliable lighting is essential for anyone involved in agriculture or the great outdoors.

Simmm twin water blasters

Italian made Simmm Power Cleaner 100/11 and Power Gun 100/11 single-phase (230 volt) electric water blasters are proving popular in…

OPD argument raging on

A stoush is brewing with the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) heavily criticising Farmsafe Australia’s recent Safer Farm Report.

» Latest Print Issues Online

Milking It

Cows and earthquakes

OPINION: It has long been suggested that animals have senses that humans don’t, and often behave differently than usual shortly…

Battle is on

OPINION: One of Australia’s biggest dairy businesses is back on the market after the Federal Government knocked back a bid…

» Connect with Dairy News

» eNewsletter

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter