Tuesday, 14 June 2022 10:55

Fonterra shares rise as buyback plan unveiled

Written by  Staff Reporters
Fonterra shares have plumetted in recent months. Fonterra shares have plumetted in recent months.

Fonterra shares recorded a jump last week after the co-operative unveiled plans of a $50 million share buyback scheme.

The shares, which can be owned only by farmers, closed last Wednesday at $2.85, up from their record low on $2.22 late last month but down from $4.56 on May 5, 2021.

Chairman Peter McBride said Fonterra has "looked at prevailing prices" alongside the co-operative's strategy and overall business performance.

"The co-op considers the prevailing price, particularly since late April, has undervalued Fonterra shares, which is a key reason for announcing this buyback," McBride says.

The buyback may run for up to 12 months. It is separate from Fonterra's plan to spend $300m on supporting liquidity during the transition to a new requirement for farmers to own one Fonterra share for every 3 kgMS they supply to the co-operative, rather than the current one-for-one ration.

McBride says, in making the decision to buy back shares, the board considered prevailing prices in th Fonterra Shareholders Market (FSM), alongside the co-op's strategy and overall business performance.

"When assessing the value of Fonterra shares the board considers a range of factors, including the strong industry fundamentals and the co-op's long-term strategy and performance targets.

"We also consider the merits of a buy-back alongside other investment opportunities we have in the pipeline.

"These have a range of risk and return profiles, but overall we believe there is room in our portfolio of investments for buying back shares at a price that we consider to be undervalued. Once purchased by the co-op, these shares will be cancelled, which means futur earnings are distributed amongst a lower number of shares."

In an email to farmers, McBride says the co-op will report how many shares it buys and the average price the day after, "so you will know what we have bought".

Keep Buying, Selling

Peter McBride notes that Fonterra is preparing to implement the Flexible Shareholding structure but has not yet set a date for when it will be effective.

In April, the Government announced its support for the structure and has signalled that it expects the amendments to progress through Parliament this year.

Peter McBride Fonterra FBTW

Fonterra chairman Peter McBride says the prevailing share price prompted the $50m share buyback.

"We remind shareholders that even though share compliance obligations remain on hold until at least 6 months after the new structure is effective, shareholders can still buy or sell shares within Fonterra's current constitutional limits (which is generally 1x - 2x supplying shareholders' three-season average milk supply).

"Shareholders should seek advice from their financial advisor, accountant, lawyer, or rural professional before making any decisions," says McBride.

The maximum number of shares that may be acquired pursuant to this buyback programme and the Transitional Buyback (should that also proceed under section 65 of the Companies Act) taken together over the next 12 months is 80,667,893 shares.

This number of shares is set in accordance with section 65 of the Companies Act and represents 5% of Fonterra's shares on issues 12 months prior to the acquisition of shares.

The number of shares purchased under the buyback from time to time, and the average price, will be notified to the NZX and ASX on the business day following the date on which those shares are brought back.

More like this

A great outcome - Hurrell

Fonterra chief executive Miles Hurrell says the sale of the co-op’s consumer and associated businesses to Lactalis represents a great outcome for the co-op.

Featured

Hort industry dishes out awards

Research and healthcare initiatives, leadership and dedication to the sector have been recognised in the 2025 Horticulture Industry Awards.

Manuka honey trader posts sour results

Manuka honey trader Comvita slumped to a $104 million net loss last financial year, reflecting prolonged market disruption, oversupply and pricing volatility.

Poultry industry, Govt sign landmark biosecurity deal

The Government has struck a deal with New Zealand's poultry industry, agreeing how they will jointly prepare for and respond to exotic poultry diseases, including any possible outbreak of high pathogenicity avian influenza (HPAI).

National

Machinery & Products

» Latest Print Issues Online

Milking It

Dreams aren't plans

OPINION: Milking It reckons if you're National, looking at recent polls, the dream scenario is that the elusive economic recovery…

Fatberg

OPINION: Sydney has a $12 million milk disposal problem.

» Connect with Dairy News

» eNewsletter

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter