Sheep farmers and shearing contractors are urging Government to immediately allow experienced shearers into the country.
Due to the busy nature of activity undertaken in and around shearing sheds, the opportunity for an accident to happen is high. You can minimise the risk of accidents in your shearing shed by reviewing the current safeguards your shearing machinery offers.
• Does my shearing plant offer safety cut-out in case of lock-up?
• Is my shearing plant isolated from electric shock?
• Does my wool press have safety guards?
• Is my wool press safe to operate?
Injuries that are preventable cost farmers, contractors and the wool and shearing industries money. Due to technology advances, shearing machinery now incorporates more advanced safety features. The extra cost of an upgrade to a higher quality machine is a small price to pay for superior safety in a busy, high-stress work environment.
Shearers, contractors and farmers increasingly demand tools that provide them with function but don’t compromise on safety.
For example, in the past when there has been a lock-up, the hand piece can spin around at approximately 3,500rpm – making it an incredibly dangerous and life-threatening weapon – leading to the possibility of serious injuries.
A safe and light shearing machine, with the advantage of a downtube isolated from all electrified components, reduces any risk of electric shock.
Key features to look for when upgrading your wool press is:
• Safety: A fully fitted and approved mechanical safety screen and safety device for operator safety.
• Toughness and durability: For intensive use season after season and ensuring expensive servicing is reduced.
• Speed: To ensure high yield and efficiency when pressing bales.
• Ergonomics: Such as a low filling height to avoid stress and strain on an operator’s back.
• Robotics: High-tech machines offer a fully automatic bale ejection system to help your shearing operation.
Heiniger offers innovative, safer solutions for your shearing shed. With the Evo Shearing Plant and TPW Xpress Wool press on the market. There are now few excuses for farmers not to be able to better protect themselves and employees working on their property.
For further information, contact your local Heiniger Stockist.
• Kevin Thirkell is Heiniger’s New Zealand national sales manager.