Thursday, 15 October 2020 10:27

The calvary arrives — finally!

Written by  Sudesh Kissun
Roger Parton. Roger Parton.

The first batch of overseas drivers for local agricultural contracting work is expected in the country next week, says Rural Contractors New Zealand (RCNZ) chief executive Roger Parton.

He says 119 applications filed on behalf of members by RCNZ were approved by the Ministry of Primary Industries and passed onto Immigration NZ for final verification and issuance of visas.

After arriving in the country, the drivers will spend two weeks at a Government quarantine facility. The cost will be met by the sponsoring contractor. Visas are being issued for six months and this includes the two-week spent in quarantine.

Parton says contractors will be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

“This will take a lot of pressure off the contractors,” he told Rural News.

Parton says drivers must have at least three years experience to qualify.

Federated Farmers Waikato dairy section chair Ben Moore says farmers will be happy to hear the news.

“Better late than never…finally the Government has listened. This is a step in the right direction,” Moore says.

For large contractors, the arrival of overseas drivers will ease an acute shortage.

Moore says the overseas drivers will also back-up local drivers who have been working long hours in recent weeks and have become worn out.

Last month, the Government agreed to grant visas to 210 machinery operators, mostly from the UK and Ireland.

For months agricultural contractors, who bring hundreds of drivers for short term work each year, have been urging the Government to relax border restrictions and allow experienced machinery operators in to ease a shortage of drivers.

Parton says rural contractors initially sought 700 overseas operators, including drivers who come to New Zealand on working holiday visas. Some vacancies were filled by locals, former drivers who agreed to help out rural contractors cultivate, plant and harvest crops this year.

“We did another survey of members and came up with an absolute minimum of 210 drivers needed for this season’s work,” he says.

More like this

Featured

Back the sector that backs NZ

OPINION: The biggest issue currently facing our industry is environmental policy, writes Beef+Lamb NZ chief executive Sam McIvor.

 

National

Lamb price down, but not weak

While lamb prices are starting the new season at around 16% below last year’s levels, they are not outright weak,…

Quota split a major worry

New Zealand meat exporters want the EU and UK to get serious on reaching a deal on post-Brexit quotas.

NZ meat exports at risk

Nearly half of our country’s meat exports are at risk unless there is urgent action by government to allow migrant…

Machinery & Products

Claas cargo wagon

CLAAS has extended the versatility, productivity and user comfort of its CARGOS dual purpose transport wagons with the addition of…

These tractors are pumping

CLAAS has announced it will introduce a new automatic tyre inflation system across its AXION and ARION series of tractors.

Great hay cut at speed

Contractors and farmers on the lookout to mow and condition at higher speeds, while producing better quality hay and forage,…

Fendt enters NZ harvest market

Farm machinery brand Fendt has expanded into the harvester market in Australia and New Zealand, with is Ideal combine harvester.

» The RNG Weather Report

» Latest Print Issues Online

The Hound

He's back!

OPINION: This old mutt understands that former Fonterra chief executive Theo Spierings has landed himself a new gig back in his…

Utu?

OPINION: Your canine crusader understands that the farmer’s favourite politician – Environment Minister David Parker – not content with implementing…

» Connect with Rural News

» eNewsletter

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter