Synlait CEO Resignation Highlights Deeper Challenges Facing Dairy Processor
A revolving door of chief executives at milk processor Synlait is a warning sign, says Lincon University senior lecturer in agribusiness Nic Lees.
Canterbury-based milk processor Synlait has downgraded its earnings expectation for the 2020 financial year.
The company now expects net profit after tax (NPAT) of between $70 million and $85 million, compared with $82.2 million for 2019.
A statement released to the New Zealand Stock Exchange in mid-February said the previously announced earnings guidance was for profits to continue to grow in FY20, with the rate of profitability increasing at least at a similar rate to FY19 over FY18.
“Current information now indicates this rate of growth will not be achieved.”
Synlait’s ordinary shares, which stood at $8.29 on February 12, dropped sharply on the announcement and have traded since then in the mid-$6 range.
They had been trending downwards over the past year, from a high of $11.29 in March.
Synlait said the downward revision was a result of:
• significantly lower than anticipated infant base powder sales due to China infant nutrition market consolidation causing a reduction in demand from brand owners who are yet to receive brand registration;
• lactoferrin prices being more volatile than previously anticipated;
• while Synlait still anticipates growth in consumer-packaged infant formula sales volumes over the full year, this growth is not as strong as initially envisaged. The a2 Milk Company’s contribution to this growth has not changed.
Synlait chairman Graeme Milne says naturally, the Synlait team expected a stronger FY20 financial performance.
“We remain confident that the decision to focus on our medium to long-term strategic opportunities will over time improve shareholder value and the sustainability of our business.”
Synlait chief executive Leon Clement said new investments had resulted in a higher cost profile, which has not yet been absorbed by an offsetting increase in revenue.
“The pace and quality at which our teams have delivered on recent growth projects has been impressive, and now we are focused on ensuring we optimise these new facilities. In the meantime, we are moderating our costs while we bring our new investments to life in terms of capacity and capability. We remain confident, and on-track, to deliver on our medium to long term objectives.”
Testing confirms H5 bird flu in a single northern giant petrel, found dead on a remote Cape Palliser beach in the Wairarapa, says Dr Mary van Andel, the Ministry for Primary Industries' (MPI) Chief Veterinary Officer.
"What's for dinner?" may sound like a simple question, but for many Kiwi parents, answering it has become a job in itself.
Fifty Eight years ago, on the 16th of August 1968, August Claas, the founder of the harvesting company and father of Helmut Claas, personally presented a Claas Senator combine harvester to Scottish farmer John Steven.
New Zealand consumers are paying more for beef mince than ever before, with the average retail price now sitting above $24 per kilogram, according to Rabobank.
State farmer Pamu has delivered its strongest operating result on record.
Four years since it was first detected in New Zealand, researchers and growers now know much more about management of maize pest fall armyworm (FAW).
OPINION: After hogging the media limelight for telling a NZ Chinese MP to "go back home", Winston Peters has decided…
OPINION: With fuel prices soaring, one would have expected most farmers to be reclaiming excise duty on petrol.