Damien O’Connor: NZ united on global trade
When it comes to international trade, politicians from all sides of the aisle are united, says Labour's trade spokesman Damien O'Connor.
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has set up a register for safe practice in the sector, with registrations due this Friday.
The register comes as New Zealand moves to COVID-19 National Alert Level 4 tonight at midnight.
MPI director-general Ray Smith and Agriculture and Food Safety Minister Damien O’Connor met 90 sector stakeholders by conference call yesterday.
Smith says it was an extremely constructive meeting.
“I know that everyone who took part wants to do their best for New Zealand as we meet the COVID-19 challenge.”
Smith says MPI requires safety assurances from operators that their processes protect workers and the public by limiting interactions between staff and reducing the potential spread of COVID-19.
"The Government's declaration of essential services approves those operating in the primary sector, but we just need to verify that operators are following safe practices.
“We are asking 11 critical questions about how you intend to stop any spread of COVID-19,” says Smith.
There are a couple of simple questions operators can ask themselves before registering:
1. Do you have five or fewer people (including the owner) working at each business site?
2. Can you achieve social distancing measures between staff in your workplace, including travelling, to and from work?
If you answer 'yes' to both of those questions, then you do not need to fill in the form.
• If you answer 'no' to either of these questions, you must fill in the form.
• If in doubt, fill in the form.
“Production chains should work to achieve separation between staff and adopt mitigation measures, such as protective gear and equipment, where possible,” says Smith.
Smith says MPI will do its best to advise and support the sector over the coming days and weeks.
“We are asking businesses to be registered by 5pm on Friday 27 March 2020. They should keep operating and are expected to already have health procedures in place.
“We’re all working together to ensure that our vital food production sectors can operate safely,” says Smith.
Three New Zealand agritech companies are set to join forces to help unlock the full potential of technology.
As the sector heads into the traditional peak period for injuries and fatalities, farmers are being urged to "take a moment".
Federated Farmers says almost 2000 farmers have signed a petition launched this month to urge the Government to step in and provide certainty while the badly broken resource consent system is fixed.
Zespri’s counter-seasonal Zespri Global Supply (ZGS) programme is underway with approximately 33 million trays, or 118,800 tonnes, expected this year from orchards throughout France, Italy, Greece, Korea, and Japan.
Animal owners can help protect life-saving antibiotics from resistant bacteria by keeping their animals healthy, says the New Zealand Veterinary Association.
According to analysis by the Meat Industry Association (MIA), New Zealand red meat exports reached $827 million in October, a 27% increase on the same period last year.

OPINION: Winston Peters has described the decision to sell its brand to Lactalis and disperse the profit to its farmer…
OPINION: The Hound reckons a big problem with focusing too much on the wrong goal - reducing livestock emissions at…