MPI Hails Kiwifruit Boom as Horticulture Revenue Surges Past $9 Billion
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) Director General Ray Smith is giving a big shout-out to the horticulture sector, especially kiwifruit.
Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy has today officially declared the drought conditions on the east coast of the South Island as being a medium-scale adverse event.
"This is recognition of the extreme dry conditions farmers and growers are facing, and triggers additional Government support," says Guy.
The affected areas cover parts of Otago, Canterbury, and the Marlborough District.
"The Ministry for Primary Industries has been monitoring the conditions very closely over recent months. Most farmers have coped so far by destocking and using feed supplies, and most will not need extra support. However, it's clear that conditions are only going to get tougher as the seasons change and we need to prepare now."
This week local groups, including Rural Support Trusts and Federated Farmers, also acknowledged the need for medium scale recovery measures to deal with the consequences of the drought.
"Extra government funding will now be available to Rural Support Trusts who work closely with farmers, providing support and guidance," says Guy.
"Rural Assistance Payments (RAPs) will also be made available in the next few months. These will be available from Work and Income, through the Ministry of Social Development. They are equivalent to the Jobseeker Support benefit and are available to those in extreme hardship."
However, Guy notes that that support is already available from government agencies in all regions. Farmers can contact IRD if they need help or flexibility with making tax payments, and standard hardship assistance is available from Work and Income.
"Federated Farmers have started their feedline to coordinate supplies, and it's pleasing to see some banks offering special packages."
Guy made the announcement today at Opuha Dam in South Canterbury, which will run dry in the next few weeks without decent rainfall.
"Many rural people can be reluctant to ask for help, but it is important for them to know that support is available."
The government is continuing to keep a very close eye on Wairarapa and southern Hawkes Bay, which are also suffering from very dry conditions.
One team with 43 head, including a contingent from Mid Canterbury, are reflecting on a stellar NZ DairyEvent.
Fonterra farmer shareholders have approved the mechanism for a $2/share capital return expected from the sale of its global consumer and associated businesses.
Trainees in the horticulture industry studying towards a certificate or diploma can now apply for Horticulture New Zealand's (HortNZ) 2026 Industry Training Scholarships programme.
OPINION: The first three Global Dairy Trade (GDT) auctions have been a morale booster for farmers.
Former Fonterra executive Alex Turnbull has been appointed CEO to lead all five Yili Oceania Business Division companies in New Zealand.
Fonterra executive René Dedoncker is leaving the co-operative later this year to lead Australian agribusiness Elders.

OPINION: Here w go: the election date is set for November 7 and the politicians are out of the gate…
OPINION: ECan data was released a few days ago showing Canterbury farmers have made “giant strides on environmental performance”.