Tuesday, 19 November 2013 16:24

Takeover battle set to drag on

Written by 

BEGA CHEESE has been given the green light by the competition watchdog to take over Warrnambool Cheese and Butter, but Canadian processor Saputo and Murray Goulburn are still waiting for approval.

 

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) would approve a Bega takeover, saying there was limited overlap between Bega and WCB in relation to the acquisition of raw milk in the dairy region in southwest Victoria as well as areas of northern Victoria. Fonterra recently bought a 6% stake in Bega.

However, ACCC chairman Rod Sims has said it has concerns over Murray Goulburn’s proposed acquisition.

MG, which withdrew from its takeover bid of WCB three years ago after the ACCC released a preliminary report outlining issues of concern, has chosen to bypass the ACCC this time.

It will seek formal merger authorisation through the Australian Competition Tribunal, in a process which could take up to six months, which applies a net public interest test in contrast to the ACCC’s focus on competition. 

However, the ACCC will remain closely involved.

The tribunal does not have its own permanent staff and the ACCC will be required to submit a report detailing its views and any concerns about impacts to competition. 

Saputo sought approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board for its proposed takeover but had not heard from it at the time of its initial offer.

Although Bega has official approval, it must ultimately win the approval of shareholders for its proposal. 

Its original offer for all WCB shares at a price of 1.2 Bega shares plus A$2 cash for every WCB share continues to rise as its share price does.

It leapt 26% in the week after it gained ACCC approval and Fonterra bought a 6% stake. Although share prices
have been changing daily since Saputo made its intentions known, the Bega price remains very much in the ballpark.

Even if Saputo and Murray Goulburn win official approval, they must overcome similar hurdles.

Saputo is seeking 50.1% of WCB and 46% is owned by its competitors Bega, MG and Lion, which bought 10% of WCB for A$51 million.

MG must convince shareholders to accept its bid, which at time of press was A$7.50 cash, compared to Saputo’s offer of $8 cash a share.

The competition has pushed WCB’s shares from A$2.50 12 months ago to A$8.50 earlier this month.

Featured

Farmers will adapt amid global trade turmoil

New tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump signal an uncertain future, but New Zealand farmers know how to adapt to changing conditions, says Auriga Martin, chief executive of Farm Focus.

National

Machinery & Products

Amazone extends hoe range

With many European manufacturers releasing mechanical weeding systems to counter the backlash around the use and possible banning of agrochemicals,…

Gong for NH dealers

New Holland dealers from around Australia and New Zealand came together last month for the Dealer of the Year Awards,…

A true Kiwi ingenuity

The King Cobra raingun continues to have a huge following in the New Zealand market and is also exported to…

» Latest Print Issues Online

Milking It

Dairy power

OPINION: The good times felt across the dairy sector weren't lost at last week's Beef + Lamb NZ annual meeting.

» Connect with Dairy News

» eNewsletter

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter