Say nothing!
OPINION: Normally farmer good organisations are happy to use the media to get their message across to politicians and the consumers.
Submissions are now open on a variation to the plan to improve the health of the Waikato and Waipa rivers.
The closing date is Wednesday, May 23.
The council received at least 1000 submissions to the plan change when it was notified in 2016; these remain valid and do not need to be re-lodged.
However, if there are changes specific to the variation that individuals and groups don’t agree with then they’re encouraged make a submission.
The variation to Healthy Rivers/Wai Ora: Proposed Plan Change 1 reinstates the area in the northeast of the Waikato River catchment that was withdrawn in November 2016 to enable full consultation with Pare Hauraki as an affected iwi.
The variation includes some amendments arising from consultation with Pare Hauraki, and proposes extensions of 20 months to some dates to enable landowners more time due to the delay.
Horticulture NZ applied for a judicial review when the northeast section of the catchment was taken out to be considered separately. HortNZ and other sector groups said the plan should be considered as a whole. However HortNZ later withdrew the application.
In February four independent hearings commissioners were appointed to the Healthy Rivers/Wai Ora: Proposed Plan Change 1 hearings panel.
The panel will hear and deliberate on submissions to the proposed plan change for the Waikato and Waipa rivers, and then make a recommendation to the council.
The council claims the plan change is the first step in an 80-year project to make the rivers swimmable and safe for food gathering along their entire length, and achieve the requirements of Te Ture Waimana o Te Awa Waikato (The Vision and Strategy for the Waikato River).
Federated Farmers supports a review of the current genetic technology legislation but insists that a farmer’s right to either choose or reject it must be protected.
New Zealand’s top business leaders are urging the US Administration to review “unjustified and discriminatory tariffs” imposed on Kiwi exporters.
New tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump signal an uncertain future, but New Zealand farmers know how to adapt to changing conditions, says Auriga Martin, chief executive of Farm Focus.
A global trade war beckons, which is bad news for a small open economy like New Zealand, warns Mark Smith ASB senior economist.
Carterton's Awakare Farm has long stood as a place where family, tradition and innovation intersect.
Fonterra says the US continues to be an important market for New Zealand dairy and the co-op.
OPINION: Is it the beginning of the end for Greenpeace?
OPINION: The good times felt across the dairy sector weren't lost at last week's Beef + Lamb NZ annual meeting.