Australian teams to help repair North Canterbury irrigators after storm
Moves are afoot to get a team of Australians over here to help repair North Canterbury's irrigation machinery, ravaged by the big windstorm of late October.
A multimillion-dollar irrigation scheme for South Canterbury will still go ahead despite falling short of its capital-raising target.
What form it will take is now being worked through with the contractor in a redesigned scheme to meet the demand from farmers who had committed through the share uptake, Hunter Downs Water (HDW) project manager Stacey Scott says.
The deadline for the uptake of water and development shares in the $195m scheme was on April 28, after its initial April 10 deadline was extended.
However, despite the shortfall in share uptake, HDW says it is committed to proceed with a redesigned scheme that will meet the demand.
“We are also engaging to confirm the economic viability to reflect scale around the demand committed,” Scott says.
That, together with the next steps, was shared with the farmers who had backed the scheme at a meeting planned last week.
HDW chairman Andrew Fraser says while the demand does not support the proposed 21,000ha scheme, there is strong support for an irrigation scheme that would further secure the future of farming and the economy of South Canterbury.
Farmers who had not yet committed, but who were still interested, were encouraged by HDW at last week’s meeting to register their interest so it could be taken into account for future planning.
A total 21,000 shares were available at one share/ha of irrigation, with a seasonal allowance of a maximum 2.65mm/day through the season from September to April or May.
It was hoped that about 200 shareholders would subscribe to the scheme, designed for 161 water users with a maximum 214 offtakes.
Stage one construction was scheduled to start this month with a commissioning date of spring 2019. HDW proposed to use water from the Waitaki River to irrigate farmland between Timaru and Waimate.
The scheme received a $1.37m funding boost earlier in this year from Crown Irrigation Investments.
A recent Beef + Lamb New Zealand quad safety field day, held along the rugged Whanganui river valley at Kakatahi, focused on identifying risks and taking appropriate actions to minimise unplanned accidents.
Healthy snacking company Rockit has announced Wang Yibo, one of China's most influential celebrities, as its new brand ambassador.
Rabobank has celebrated the tenth anniversary of its AgPathways Programme, with 23 farmers from Otago and Southland gathering for two-and-a-half days to learn new business management and planning skills.
Adopting strategies to reduce worm burden on farm goes hand-in--hand with best practice farm management practices to optimise stock production and performance, veterinarian Andrew Roe says.
Last night saw the winners of the 2026 Beef + Lamb New Zealand (B+LNZ) Awards named at a gala dinner at Te Pae Christchurch Convention Centre.
A 12-month pathway programme has helped kickstart a career in dairy for an 18-year-old student-turned-farmer.

OPINION: The old saying 'a new broom sweeps clean' doesn't always hold up, if you ask the Hound.
OPINION: This old mutt went to school to eat his lunch, but still knows the future of the country, and…