Unhelpful politics
Wairoa Mayor Craig Little says the succession of Recovery Ministers who have resigned or left has not made his life easy.
The Government has committed a further $200,000 contribution to Mayoral Relief Funds across the Nelson/Tasman and Marlborough regions after they were hit by severe weather and flooding last week, Minister for Emergency Management Kieran McAnulty has announced.
This is in addition to the $200,000 funding announced by McAnulty on 18 August and on top of $120,000 funding recently announced by Minister for Rural Communities Damien O’Connor.
Marlborough will receive $100,000 and an additional $100,000 will be contributed to Nelson/Tasman.
“This past week has been really tough on the top of the South Island, with a long and challenging recovery ahead,” McAnulty said.
He said the additional contribution would support the communities in the two regions as they assess the full extent of the damage and begin clean-up.
“Given the size of the job, there is likely to be more support needed from the Government – but this contribution will help these regions tackle the most urgent areas of need while the scope of damage is still being assessed.
“Local communities and councils understand where the immediate needs are and how to help,” McAnulty said. “Mayoral Relief Funds help local communities to support whanau, community organisations and marae after an emergency.”
“The impacts of this event are spread across a wide geographical area which makes the recovery difficult. I’ll be checking in with the Council on Thursday to see what additional support from Government may be needed.”
Marlborough Mayor John Leggett said he was thankful for the contribution.
He said the event was significant and the recovery ahead would be another long journey.
“It is a bitter pill to swallow but we must accept it and get on with the job at hand, and we are. Many of our local roads, in particular the Marlborough Sounds, will likely be inaccessible or affected for some time to come. Rest assured we will be doing all we can to get our communities connected again as quickly as possible, but it is going to take time,” Leggett said.
“We will continue our work with the emergency team and the many Marlborough-based agencies, organisations and iwi over the coming days, weeks and months ahead, to get our region back up and running.”
Fonterra says the US continues to be an important market for New Zealand dairy and the co-op.
Trade and Agriculture Minister Todd McClay says New Zealand's trade interests are best served in a world where trade flows freely.
New Zealand's red meat sector says it is disappointed by the United States' decision to impose tariffs on New Zealand exports.
OPINION: Farmers nationwide will be rubbing their hands with glee at the latest news from the Government about the RMA reforms.
Holstein Friesian NZ and Link Livestock have agreed on a strategic partnership to provide HFNZ members with comprehensive services from one of New Zealand's most respected dairy men.
Rural retailer Farmlands has launched a new casual clothing range available across 42 stores nationwide and through its online store.