fbpx
Print this page
Tuesday, 18 January 2022 06:55

Govt killing meat sector?

Written by  Peter Burke
The meat industry says unless the Government allows more overseas workers into the country there's a real risk of killing chains shutting down, export dollars lost - along with jobs for New Zealanders. The meat industry says unless the Government allows more overseas workers into the country there's a real risk of killing chains shutting down, export dollars lost - along with jobs for New Zealanders.

The Meat Industry Association (MIA) has launched a stinging attack on the Government for failing to allow the industry to bring in sufficient overseas halal slaughterman.

"There is a strong prospect of killing chains shutting down, export dollars lost - along with jobs for New Zealanders working in the country's meat processing plants if we don't let these people into NZ," MIA chief executive Sirma Karapeeva told Rural News.

The MIA has been trying since about the middle of last year to get the Government to allow in more overseas halal slaughtermen. Nearly half the red meat processed in NZ is done in accordance with halal rituals.

Karapeeva says the issue with halal slaughter is that the NZ labour market is incredibly tight because of the small population of workers they can tap into. This means they cannot recruit sufficient numbers of people locally.

"We only need 50 migrant workers to keep our sector processing in the halal manner and adding value to our exports, but that means that we need to source overseas workers," she explains.

"Yet the Government has approved only 15 and that is a serious challenge for us going forward. This is an appalling outcome for the country's second largest export earner."

Karapeeva says this all comes at a time when the country needs strong exports to help NZ through the Covid recovery.

"I don't think the Government should be feeling too proud of themselves at the moment," she says.

When the question of the MIA predicament was put to Agriculture Minister Damien O'Connor, he said he understood the industry would like to have some backup. But O'Connor claimed the reality is, "everyone is working to adjust in the present time".

"I think the number we have let in will address the issue for the meat industry and allow them to get on. But we [the Government] will work with them [the Government] will work with them [the meat industry] to have more as necessary through the season."

More like this

Former Ag Minister appointed MIA chair

Former Minister for Primary Industries Nathan Guy has been appointed the new chairman of the Meat Industry Association (MIA) following the retirement of current chairman John Loughlin from the role.

NZ red meat representatives are off to Europe

New Zealand red meat sector leaders head to Brussels this week as negotiations between the European Union (EU) and New Zealand for a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) enter a critical stage.

Red meat exports achieve record April

New Zealand red meat exports hit a record in April however ongoing volatility in China indicates head winds in the coming months, says the Meat Industry Association (MIA).

Supply chain disruption hits meat sector

While global demand and prices for red meat remain strong, supply chain disruptions and significant processing constraints in New Zealand are having an impact.

NZ lamb celebrations in London and Oamaru

Celebrations will be held in London and Oamaru on 24 May to mark the 140th anniversary of the first shipment of frozen New Zealand lamb arriving in the UK in 1882.

National

Govt invests in wool

The Government says it is investing to create new product categories and new international markets for strong wool and is…

Machinery & Products

Making life easier

Many temporary sheep fencing systems can be troublesome, with reels jamming or breaking and the bugbear of silly hooks on…

Valtra's following grows

With the release of its N5 and T5 series of tractors, Valtra continues to expand its presence in the Australia-New…