New Zealand Sign Language Week Highlights Inclusion at Fonterra Clandeboye
Last week marked New Zealand Sign Language Week and a South Canterbury tanker operator is sharing what it's like to be deaf in a busy Fonterra depot.
THE NEW ZEALAND Market Disciplinary Tribunal says Fonterra breached its rules by not releasing information to the markets as soon as was aware of potential contamination of product during last year's false-alarm food safety scare.
Fonterra disagrees with the tribunals findings, but has agreed to a settlement of $150,000.
The tribunal says Fonterra should have told NZX as soon as soon as it was aware of results from AgResearch testing of potential botulism contamination on Wednesday, July 31, 2013.
Instead it told NZX after midnight on Friday, August 2, after the markets had closed.
After a massive international recall of three batches of whey protein concentrate WPC80 manufactured at Fonterra's Hautapu plant, the Ministry for Primary Industries announced on August 28 that further conclusive testing showed the batches did not contain the botulinum strain of clostridium and that the affected product posed no risk to the public.
Fonterra's group director governance and legal Mike Cronin says Fonterra had co-operated fully with the NZX and the NZ Markets Disciplinary Tribunal throughout the investigation.
"As part of a full and final settlement, we have acknowledged the Tribunal's views and agreed to make a payment of $150,000.
"Following the Fonterra board's independent inquiry into WPC80, and as the tribunal's statement sets out, Fonterra has made significant changes to ensure improved identification, management and escalation of emerging risks across the cooperative, with a particular focus on food safety and quality.
"Fonterra remains committed to fully complying with the rules governing the Fonterra Shareholders' Market and the NZX listing rules," Cronin says.
The Tribunal says in its findings that while Fonterra cooperated fully with the inquiry, it was "concerning and disappointing" it has not accepted a breach of rules had occurred.
"The tribunal also records that Fonterra could have managed its compliance with continuous disclosure obligations better in this case," it says.
"The tribunal reinforces the need for organisations, and particularly those of the size and standing of Fonterra, to devote proper resources, time and training to their continuous disclosure obligations and to foster a culture of openness and transparency in relation to continuous disclosure issues."
Healthy snacking company Rockit has announced Wang Yibo, one of China's most influential celebrities, as its new brand ambassador.
Rabobank has celebrated the tenth anniversary of its AgPathways Programme, with 23 farmers from Otago and Southland gathering for two-and-a-half days to learn new business management and planning skills.
Adopting strategies to reduce worm burden on farm goes hand-in--hand with best practice farm management practices to optimise stock production and performance, veterinarian Andrew Roe says.
Last night saw the winners of the 2026 Beef + Lamb New Zealand (B+LNZ) Awards named at a gala dinner at Te Pae Christchurch Convention Centre.
A 12-month pathway programme has helped kickstart a career in dairy for an 18-year-old student-turned-farmer.
Zespri says its global fruit sales revenue has reached a record NZ$5.9 billion from sales of 248.1 million trays.