Call to Sign India Trade Deal as Red Meat Sector Eyes Growth
Beef + Lamb NZ chair Kate Acland says that in these uncertain times, New Zealand needs to do everything it can to seize market access opportunities.
Applications for funding from the Primary Industries Earthquake Relief Fund are now open, Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy has announced.
“Recently we announced a $4 million fund for uninsurable on-farm infrastructure repairs in the Hurunui, Kaikoura and Marlborough districts. Applications are now open and will close at the end of February, and I’m hopeful the panel will make an initial assessment of some applications before Christmas,” says Guy.
“Criteria for applications has been released which includes re-establishment of uninsurable assets like water infrastructure and opening up tracks, culverts and farm bridges.
“There will one assessment panel across the three districts, including the mayor of each region and representatives from Federated Farmers, Rural Support Trusts, the Ministry for Primary Industries, and independent farm consultants.
“Any grants will be a contribution towards repairs, covering a maximum of 50% of costs. There will be an excess of $5000 and capped at $50,000 per applicant.
“Applicants need to provide information including evidence of impacts and assessments of costs, ideally with photographs. Those who have already paid for work should keep a full record of your receipts and invoices.
“In these first few weeks the priority for most farmers is assessing the damage and working out what needs to be done. However people shouldn’t wait for the earthquake relief fund to make essential repairs and can apply for the fund at any stage of repair. Contact EQC for your dwelling, and your insurer as soon as possible.
“The process for this fund is similar to that used after last year’s Taranaki-Horizons storm, which a subsequent review found to have worked well.
“Farmers will also welcome new legislation which proposes that emergency works to farm properties become permitted activities until March 30, 2017.”
Guy made the announcement while in North Canterbury today before visiting Kaikoura again and local farmers around Woodchester.
Application forms, criteria and full membership of the assessment panel can be found on the Marlborough District Council website: http://www.marlborough.govt.nz/Services/Emergency-Management/Emergency-Events/eq2016/PIERF
Completed forms should be sent to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and these will be coordinated prior to the panel meeting.
Three Rural Recovery Coordinators funded by the Government have also been confirmed – Jo Buckner (lead) in North Canterbury, Chris Faulls in Marlborough and Colin Nimmo in Kaikoura.
Anyone requiring information and support should call their local Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP) or the Government Helpline on 0800 779 997. Also Federated Farmers are coordinating offers of help and requests specifically for farmers via 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646).
The primary sector is leading New Zealand's economic recovery, according to economist and researcher Cameron Bagrie.
Dairy industry leader Jim van der Poel didn't make much of the invitation he received to the recent New Zealand Dairy Industry Awards in Rotorua.
Farmers around the country are going public big time, demanding their local district, city and regional councils come up with amalgamation plans that meet the needs of rural communities and don't allow urban councils to dominate.
The battle for the rural vote is on and parties are securing high profile names to try and bolster their chances at the general election.
Horticulture New Zealand says proposed changes to the Plant Variety Rights Act 2022 will drive innovation, investment and long-term productivity.
More than 1200 exhibitors will showcase their products and services at next month’s National Fieldays, with sites nearly sold out.